How to score when runner fails to tag up

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
mpstew

How to score when runner fails to tag up

Post by mpstew » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:35 am

What is the proper way to score the following situation: Batter hits a hard line drive to the short stop for an out and the runner on second base fails to tag up and gets double up?
ixamnis

Re: How to score when runner fails to tag up

Post by ixamnis » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:40 pm

Depends on whether the shortstop made the double play unassisted or threw to the second baseman covering second?

OUT, line drive, direction the ball went, then either 6 or 6-4, followed by what happened to runner on second? Double play.
photojon

Post by photojon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:13 am

I'm confused about this one too. To refine the question is "how should I score" what happened to the runner on 2nd. He is out but there is no option for "not tagging up", so the closest option I can choose is "left base early" which always leaves my followers (watching on iscorecast) confused what I mean. I finally have most of them educated but it would be nice to have the "did not tag up option"
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:44 am

ixamnis had it correct. The "what happened to the runner on second?" is scored as "Double Play". You don't tap any other reason. Most baseball fans who read that there was a line drive out and another runner was out on a double play understand the runner was doubled off the bag. In cases where I want to be more specific, I add a note about what happened.

Note, that this is for the case where the runner is thrown out on an immediate play by the fielder catching the ball. If the runner makes it back to the base and for some reason tries to advance again and is subsequently put out, then that would not be scored as a double play.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:10 pm

Nice to know I can get things correct now and then. Even if it may still be in the category of "blind squirrel finds a nut"! :-)

In using iscore for scoring fast pitch softball the last 4 years, I have come to the conclusion it is best to hit "double play" when a double play has occurred regardless of how it occurred. That seems to do the best job of getting the stats correct especially for giving credit for a double play to the fielders who participated in it. It doesn't always show up on the scorecard or the pitch by pitch description the way I would like it to. (making sure you enter all the fielders who handled the ball in the play from the get go helps to keep things straight.) Petroguy offers a good suggestion to add a note to the play. Doing that on an android phone is a little problematic for me. Maybe I'll have to upgrade to a tablet.

Now to try to confuse the matter. "leaving base early" I've come to understand is mainly for fast pitch softball and is to be used when a player leaves the base before the pitch leaves the pitchers hand. I also understand if that happens it is a dead ball and the runner is called out and no pitch is supposed to be called and all other base runners return to their base. So I am wondering if "leaving base early" should only be an option for touching a base runner and recording an out. There are other ways of recording failing to tag up, I assume.

Having said that I saw in college game last year where the runner was called out for leaving the base early, but she did so in a "mercy" situation to end the inning early and the umpire called her out but incorrectly allowed the play that occurred on the pitch to stand. So it was still nice to have the "leaving base early" option for that out.