Dropped Third Strike

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
The Flush

Dropped Third Strike

Post by The Flush » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:44 am

12U select rec league (quality somewhere between rec leagues and AAA travel leagues)
2 Outs Runner on 1st.
Strike 3 swinging, either WP or PB (curve ball hit ground near F2's right foot who tried to pick it instead of blocking it). Ball to back stop, F2 throws to first but throw is low and F3 is pulled off bag. Throw beat the runner, so in my minds this is an error, but I am not sure if the possible WP affects calling this an error.
A bunch of bad stuff happens after this including another dropped third strike with bases loaded where F2 chooses not to throw out a slow runner at 1B and just held the ball. Eventually leads to a grand slam. 7 runs score in the inning.

Are any of these runs earned?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Dropped Third Strike

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:25 am

Fielders do not receive any errors during dropped third strike or passed ball plays. Here is the reference from MLB rules:
(d) The official scorer shall not charge an error against:
5) any fielder when a wild pitch or passed ball is scored.
Batters that make it on base because of a Wild Pitch are earned (unless other circumstances exist that make that runner unearned). Batters that make it on base because of a Passed Ball are unearned.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
The Flush

Post by The Flush » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:28 am

Reading the rules, I see:
Rule 10.12
(d) The official scorer shall not charge an error against:
(5) any fielder when a wild pitch or passed ball is scored.

(e) The official scorer shall not charge an error when the batter is awarded first base on four called balls, when the batter is awarded first base when touched by a pitched ball, or when the batter reaches first base as the result of a wild pitch or passed ball.
Do either of these rules mean that regardless of the catcher's poor throw to first base that there can be no error recorded on the play and that any runs scoring because of the poor throw are considered earned runs?
The Flush

Post by The Flush » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:30 am

I was typing while the last response came in.

It looks like these runs are likely all earned.

Thanks for your help.
Calicogeorge

Post by Calicogeorge » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:19 am

We had a situation in the game last night where the batter reached on a dropped third strike. I am trying to figure out how the score this as it was not the normal passed ball or wild pitch but rather the catcher threw the ball to first but hit the runner in the back resulting in the runner reaching safely. The runner would have been out had the catcher made a good throw. How can I score this in iscore. I see no option of giving the catcher an error on this play
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:52 am

The question is should the catcher be charged an error? Don't know about baseball but NCAA softball scoring rules 14.22.13 would indicate that on a dropped third strike for a "base runner" only a wild pitch or passed ball is recorded unless an accurate throw or proper catch would have resulted in an out as the runner advanced a base. Then an error could be charged (in addition to or instead of is still a question for me). However rule 14.22.18 would indicate that for "the batter" on a dropped third strike only wild pitch or passed ball are recorded for a batter, it makes no mention of assigning an error if a accurate throw or proper catch that would have resulted in an out at first is not made.

I suppose somewhere there is a rules interpretation book to go along with the rules. I don't have one... yet!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:10 pm

As noted previously, an error is given on a dropped third or wild third strike. The MLB rules are very explicit about this as noted in previous posts. It does not matter if a runner is hit with the throw, a bad throw is made, or the first baseman drops the ball. Now if the runner advances to second as the result of an error, that would be entered as the reason the runner went to second. But the batter going to first is only recorded as because of a dropped third or wild pitch third strike.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs