Not a sac fly so what instead

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
jayco33

Not a sac fly so what instead

Post by jayco33 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:08 pm

Had this happen today which was a new one to me.

Runners are on second and third, only one out. Ball is hit toward the first base dugout and the catcher, 1B, and pitcher give chase. The catcher makes the catch, however no one else bothered to cover home plate so the runner on third tagged up and scored.

My initial thought was sac fly, but that requires a hit to the outfield. So how should it have been scored (fielder's choice?) and should the batter get an RBI?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Not a sac fly so what instead

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:00 pm

Batter is out on the popup. Runner goes home with Advanced by Batter. Batter gets RBI, but it is not a sacrifice.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:58 pm

For what it is worth, I can't find anywhere in the NCAA softball rules that it must be hit out of the infield for it to be a sacrifice fly.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Original message does not say anything about this being an NCAA softball game, but MLB rules are clear that a Sac Fly must be a fly ball to an outfielder, or to an infielder catching the ball in the outfield. Logically it makes sense that a Sac Fly would occur on a long fly ball as well. A "popup" would generally not be a "sacrifice".
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:19 am

Lately, I just seem to be running into a bunch of subtle differences between scorekeeping rules for fastpitch softball and baseball. Sorting through the rule book isn't the easiest thing either. Just looking for some confirmation from this forum that I'm on the right track.
team mom

Post by team mom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:33 am

ixamnis wrote:Lately, I just seem to be running into a bunch of subtle differences between scorekeeping rules for fastpitch softball and baseball. Sorting through the rule book isn't the easiest thing either. Just looking for some confirmation from this forum that I'm on the right track.
I agree there are a few subtle differences, but not many.

While the softball rules do not specifically state the ball must be out of the infield for a Sac- Fly, it does reference that it must be a "fly ball." While I can not find a defined term for "fly ball," common usage would imply that it must reach the outfield as Pop-up or even "infield fly" would be the common term used for infield balls.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:01 am

I also could find no definition of fly ball. I would assume for this purpose fly ball and popup are the same thing. And really sometimes I struggle with iscore sometimes trying to decide should I record, line drive, fly ball or pop up then soft, medium or hard. How much arc has to be there, at what speed does the ball have to leave the bat? In the end what does that really matter? A ball caught in the air is an out.

NCAA softball Rule 14.10.1 on Sac Fly does state a fly ball or line drive regardless of where on the field it is caught is one of the 4 criteria that must be met.

The only reason this caught my attention is several years ago in a high school softball game this same thing happened. Our coach, who was coaching third base, was so disgusted with the batter for popping out foul by the third base dugout that he wasn't watching what the other fielders were doing and was quite surprised that our runner on third base (my daughter) was alert enough to tag up on her own and score the run at home when she saw that no one was going to cover home. He still grumbled that he was going to have to score it as a Sac Fly for the batter.
team mom

Post by team mom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:09 am

Honestly if anyone can tag up and score on a caught ball in or near the infield, I would give the batter a sac-fly. Seems correct to not penalize the batter if a run was scored, even if that was not the intent of the batter.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
LarryKoch

Post by LarryKoch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:32 am

IMHO a sacrifice fly, like a sacrifice bunt, is an action by the batter designed specifically to advance a runner. A pop foul with a runner tagging and scoring was a fluke contributed to poor defense. I would score it "Advance by batter" but not a sac fly.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:36 am

That would match with MLB rules @LarryKoch.