Stolen base or fielder's choice?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
ixamnis

Stolen base or fielder's choice?

Post by ixamnis » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:08 am

Had this happen twice yesterday. Runner on first base (first case batter bunts, second case batter singles to right). runner on first advances to third base. No attempt to get the runner at third, ball goes back to the infield. No one covering second so the batter runs to second without violating the hesitation or leaving base early rule. Award a stolen base or is it just a fielder's choice? is there single with an extra base as a choice?
LarryKoch

Re: Stolen base or fielder's choice?

Post by LarryKoch » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Based on my understanding of your situation I would score it a single, them move the batter to second base and choose "On the throw."
Taxi_dad

Post by Taxi_dad » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Agree. You never credit a stolen base as consequence of a batted ball. Fielder's choice.
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:19 am

Thanks, what was confusing me was the "throw" had already occurred and the ball was in an infielder's glove. So the fielders made a "choice" not to cover second or attempt to throw the runner/batter out who was taking the extra base. As I understand it, for iscore, "on the throw" is the same as "fielders choice".
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:27 am

Just thought of something else though. If the batter walks, rounds first and goes to second because no one's paying attention or they are trying to keep a runner from scoring from third. Did the batter steal second or is that a fielders choice too?
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:12 am

Probably should have tried to look this up in the rules to start with. From what I am able to read according to NCAA softball rules (not sure if this applies to baseball) The Batter/runner is awarded a stolen base in all the examples I gave. The first two are against the defensive team and on taking second on a walk is charged to the catcher. See specifically rule 14.14.9.