Base runner hit by batted ball

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
WarrenBof

Base runner hit by batted ball

Post by WarrenBof » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:13 am

This happened in a college game last night .

Bottom of the 11th, bases loaded, game tied and 2 outs? Batter hits a sharp line drive between first and second; surely hit well enough to bring in the runner on third to win the game. Runner on first, not paying attention, runs into the ball and is called out. No one scores.

Official scorer awarded the batter a hit, saying ball would have made it into the outfield and the batter would have been safe on first.

Question: how to enter this play into iScore Baseball? If I record the hit, the man on third is forced home with the winning run and the game ends. That didn't happen because of the third out. If I forget about the batter and record the base runner as being hit by the ball, that won't work because the batter doesn't get the hit and the same batter will come up to bat first next inning. Ann besides, there wasn't a ball in play to hit him.

I don't quite understand how to record a base runner being hit anyhow. The 2 out problem in this case makes it difficult, but what would be the best way to record the play if there had been no outa and only yhe runner on first?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Base runner hit by batted ball

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:37 am

You would enter this as a single for the batter.

When iScore asks what happened to the runner at third, select Safe, Home, Run Not Scored. When it gets to the batter that was hit by the ball, you select Out, Hit By Ball.

You can modify the runner that went home to Run Not Scored by going to Game Manager, selecting the game, scrolling to the correct play and tapping it, then tapping Edit next to the runner at third and selecting the Run Not Scored option.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
WarrenBof

Post by WarrenBof » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Well, that seems simple enough :roll:

Over the past 4 or 5 years I can't remember another batter being hit, but if it happens again, I'll be ready. Seriously, thanks for your help.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:13 am

Happens more often than you may expect.

To be clear this is the runner (not the batter/runner) that was hit by ball. And the run score or not is a timing play. Runer from first hit by batted ball before runner from third crossed the plate.

Batter/runners.. If hit by ball inside batters box, = foul.. If batter/runner hit by fould ball outside of batters box=out also.
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
LarryKoch

Post by LarryKoch » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:03 am

I had runner on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. A ground ball was hit toward the second baseman and the runner going from 1st to 2nd was hit. In my opinion the second baseman would have made the play so I scored it a fielder's choice for the batter. When asked what happened to the runner on 2nd I placed him back at 2nd base and selected "Held up" since no runner can advance. iScore immediately showed the runner who had been on 1st as an out and presented a list of options including "Hit by ball" as one of them.
ETBill

Post by ETBill » Fri May 01, 2015 3:35 pm

I've seen it once in an MiLB game out of the 100-200 I've scored.

The situation for MiLB and MLB is covered in OBR 10.05 (a)(5). Regardless of what would have or could have happened it's officially a single (unless the infield fly rule applies, in which case the batter's automatically out).