Pick off question

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
coach1

Pick off question

Post by coach1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:02 am

Pitcher throws to first what normally would be a catchable ball except runner diving back to first keeps first baseman from making the catch. Ball gets by first baseman and runner advances. If this is an error is it throwing error on pitcher or fielding error on first baseman. Neither seems to be at fault because of runners action. If no error is runner credited with stolen base or advances on the throw
PetroGuy

Re: Pick off question

Post by PetroGuy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:38 am

Pitchers should be throwing pick offs right to the first baseman's mitt. First basemen should be on the pitchers side of first base and not between the runner and the bag. The only reason the runner should normally get in the way is if they purposely run in front of or into the first baseman which would be offensive interference. Since that wasn't called I assume either the throw was off or the first baseman was in the wrong place. Assign the error based on that.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:41 pm

I had similar question. Runner on second and the catcher throws down to the second baseman to try to pick off the runner. Second baseman catches the ball and tags the runner off the base but the runner knocks the ball out of the second baseman's glove with her knee as she attempts to get back to the base. Everyone properly positioned defensively. Is it an error on the second baseman or do you even assign an error?
coach1

Post by coach1 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:12 am

ixamnis wrote:I had similar question. Runner on second and the catcher throws down to the second baseman to try to pick off the runner. Second baseman catches the ball and tags the runner off the base but the runner knocks the ball out of the second baseman's glove with her knee as she attempts to get back to the base. Everyone properly positioned defensively. Is it an error on the second baseman or do you even assign an error?
If the runner doesn't advance to third I say no error. If she does move to third I'm als interested how it would be scored
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:21 am

I would score an error if the runner does go to third. The fielder is in charge of securing the ball.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs