Multiple bases on one error

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
ixamnis

Multiple bases on one error

Post by ixamnis » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:35 pm

Bases loaded two outs. Batter hits a single grounder to left center field. Runner from third scores and runner from second scores but there is a throw from center fielder to catcher that likely would not have been in time. Catcher bobbles the ball and the runner from first has rounded second and decides to try for third. Catcher overthrows third base and the ball rolls out into foul territory. Left fielder was over in center field still and has not backed up third base. Runner from first scores as does batter. What and how do you enter this play in iscore? Official scorekeeper assigned just the throwing error to the catcher.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Multiple bases on one error

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:44 pm

Not backing up a player is not an error. It sounds like the catcher is the only error on the play. It sounds like runner advanced to home on throwing error by catcher.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:55 am

agree on the left fielder but I might have assigned the catcher another error for fielding the throw in from center plus the throwing error to third. Had she caught the ball initially I think the runners would have held at second and first.

What I ended up having to do to get the score card look halfway right when I went back through the undo process and re-scored it was: in play, single, indicated ground ball and direction, Runner at third scored advanced by batter, runner from second scored advanced by batter. Runner at first advanced by batter to second, batter held up at first. Then I clicked on runner at second and put safe at home, throwing error on catcher and batter at first advanced to second on the throw. Then I highlighted batter at second and put safe at home on error from catcher. iScore only assigned the one error to the catcher and the score card looks right but the play by play has the last two scores listed in the next batters slot before any pitches are recorded. I never bothered to look if the earned runs are recorded correctly.

Is there a better way to have entered it?
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:43 am

agree on the left fielder but I might have assigned the catcher another error for fielding the throw in from center plus the throwing error to third. Had she caught the ball initially I think the runners would have held at second and first.
One or two errors in this situation sounds like a judgement call. Here is what I would consider. If a good throw from the catcher (even after the muffed catch) would have gotten the runner at third, then I would only assign one error. In other words, the bobble might have enticed the runners to try and advance, but the only reason they were safe is due to the throw, thus one error. If the throw would have been too late because of the bobble, then two errors could be appropriate. Simply enticing a runner to advance is not cause in and of itself for an error.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:13 am

Makes sense. You aren't going to assign an error to the catcher if she had thrown the runner out at third!