A thought about the dropped foul fly

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
grstatdoc

A thought about the dropped foul fly

Post by grstatdoc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:03 am

In my reading various posts about the dropped foul fly, some have mentioned that this would be "conditional" scoring, and others had referenced a scoring rule change that took the "conditional" aspect out of it.

I was wondering if it had existed (prior to recodification in 1950), so I thought it good to see if I had any old rule books to consult.

And thus, quoting from the 1961 OBR, Rule 10.13(a), which is now in 10.12 after the 2007 rewrite:
An error shall be charged against any fielder when he muffs a foul fly, to prolong the time at bat of a batter, whether the batter subsequently reaches first base or is put out
Perhaps it was changed/changed back in the intervening years, I don't know. I suspect not, which lends some continuity from then to now.

Ah, those unwritten scoring rules, which complicates the application of the written ones. :o

P.S.: I do miss errors being in section 10.13 (that seemed to be weirdly appropriate) :shock: