Game Options stored with League

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
J-Man

Game Options stored with League

Post by J-Man » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:02 am

Could you have the Game Options stored with the League the game is being played in? For example, I use iScore basketball for both my kid's leagues. One league is 10 minutes/quarter, continuous clock. The other is 6 minutes/quarter with non-continuous clock. When I switch between leagues to setup games, the Game Options are always those of the most recent settings instead of being based on what league the game is being played in, so I always have to remember to go in and change these settings.

I know this gets a little more confusing if you have multiple leagues "active" at the time of game setup...in which case, I guess you could just default to the last settings (like it does now).

Thanks for listening.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Game Options stored with League

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:20 am

Good suggestion. Would it make more sense to store with the Team than the league? Then there is not confusion when multiple leagues are selected.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
J-Man

Post by J-Man » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:29 am

It seems more like it should be tied to the league...in my opinion. For example, my son's team, in the regular season, is 10 minute/quarters-continuous clock. However, they play in some tournaments where it is 6 minute quarters, non-continuous clock. So, in this example, the same team is in two different "leagues", and those 2 different leagues have different rules.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:24 pm

That's actually a perfect example of where the league solution might break down. Your son's team will be in both the "regular season" league and the "tournament league". How would iScore know which rules to follow when the team is in both leagues?
J-Man

Post by J-Man » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:28 pm

I would only have one league or another "active"...the only team that would be in both is my team. So, I would have "regular league" checked...and have a set of teams in that league...then, create the game. Then, I could go and change from "regular league" to "tourney league", and a new set of teams are available...including my team. Then, I can go create a game in that league. I'm not sure if I'm saying this clear enough, but I'm trying to say that I rarely, if ever, have more than one league active at a time...unless I'm looking at overall stats for my team.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:38 pm

We will add this to our enhancement list. Thank you.
J-Man

Post by J-Man » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:04 pm

Sounds great!
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:35 pm

I think this is a great idea if FTM can overcome the challenges raised. I see issues with doing it either way.
J-Man wrote:I would only have one league or another "active"...the only team that would be in both is my team. So, I would have "regular league" checked...and have a set of teams in that league...then, create the game. Then, I could go and change from "regular league" to "tourney league", and a new set of teams are available...including my team. Then, I can go create a game in that league. I'm not sure if I'm saying this clear enough, but I'm trying to say that I rarely, if ever, have more than one league active at a time...unless I'm looking at overall stats for my team.
Problem is - while you may only have 1 league at any time, many users could and do assign games to multiple leagues and have them active at any time.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
J-Man

Post by J-Man » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:46 pm

Agreed...and in the multiple active league cases, I guess the software would have to default to something, like maybe the last saved settings (like it does now). I guess the "fix" in that case would be like was suggested earlier...game options tied to teams. But, these settings seem like "league settings" to me (i.e., the LEAGUE sets the rules). I don't know, just trying to make everyone happy...especially me :-)
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 pm

That's the challenge...I can easily create scenarios where Leagues have nothing to do with what game settings are used and Team has everything to do with it. On the other hand, its easy to create another scenario where just the opposite is true.

For me, I usually have around 5-6 Leagues assigned to any one game, and most have nothing to do with what settings should be used (Home or Away; Last 10 Games, 2012 All Games, etc). However, when my son plays on different teams, they tend to have different rules, so different settings by team.

For you, it sounds like your setting needs are based on different tournaments which go hand in hand with your leagues with no overlap.

Both make sense, and that's what creates the dilemma.

FTM is good at finding ways to implement good ideas though, and I'm sure this will be no exception.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!