Made free throw should not start clock

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
Kpavell

Made free throw should not start clock

Post by Kpavell » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 pm

The clock should not start automatically after a made free throw .
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Made free throw should not start clock

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:56 am

This was a tradeoff we made vs having it not start after free throws. We had too many users not starting the clock manually after a made free throw, and in fact had many requests to start the clock.

We may add a user preference in a future update where you can decide whether you want to start the clock automatically or not after free throws complete.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Kpavell

Post by Kpavell » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:08 am

Starting automatically casuses more issues with time keeping. For example, you have subsitutions for shooters that occur which delay the clock start along with late game timeouts after second shot makes. I would think you would have gone with letting people adjust to catch up the time instead of having to role back time.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:08 am

Originally we had the product so time did not restart after the made free throws, but we had many complaints about it (people would get to the end of the period before realizing the clock had been stopped), so eventually made the change based on user feedback. Yours is now the first feedback saying it should be the other way (after a year+ of having switched it). If others chime in here that they would like the default switched, we can weight that against the number of people that requested it the way it is.

Making it a user preference will allow both "camps" to set it any way they like.
J-Man

Post by J-Man » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:52 am

In an actual game, the "real" game clock will NEVER start after a MADE free throw. People should be made to start the clock after a MADE free throw...just like you have to start the clock after the ball goes out of bounds... Now, a MISSED free throw should start the clock...or, continuous clock should not even stop the clock (obviously).
Thorbach

Post by Thorbach » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:53 am

I agree that, if I chose to use stop clock, up front, then clock should stop at the logical stop points, such as made free throw, out of bounds and fouls. I know I will have to tap on clock to restart it but that is how the real game clock works as well.
stlineberger

Post by stlineberger » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Agreed the clock should not automatically start for a made free throw or any other time when the ball is not automatically in play (turnovers, fouls, etc). If the stat keeper enters a stat that stops the clock or specifically stops the clock, then the he can remember to start it back when ball is in play.
Thorbach

Post by Thorbach » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:51 am

Hello. I'm wondering where this stands? Do you still feel this is low on your priorities?
I love this app (really only reason I have an iPad), but this is my #1 annoyance when scoring games.

Note that it is easier to catch up in time (letting clock run during a game clock stoppage) rather than having to roll back the clock.

Either way you guys rock...I show n tell everyone about this app. Thanks !
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:11 pm

This is still on our list. We will likely be having more basketball updates in the coming months as the HS Basketball season approaches and begins. We just submitted an update to Apple that includes "Discover" functionality (see the Product Updates section for more information on that).
Thorbach

Post by Thorbach » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:30 am

Hello iScore Folks,
I am scoring a ton of games and getting more and more aggrevated with the clock. I am spending way too many extra clicks to stop clock when I notice it running, when it should be stopped.

Again, clock should auto stop when I tap on logical stopping points such as foul, out of bounds, travelling, etc. I can then restart when ball is back in play (this is how the actual game clock works in real game so why wouldn't it be same here).
Also, as someone else suggested, and I thought was great idea, have the clock color coded...green when running and red when stopped. With all the clock issues I have with this app, I am spending so much time watching the clock to be sure it is/isnt running. I think color would help with that.

Just trying to understand if you have this scheduled to be in an update this season?
I am soooooo looking forward to this enhancement!!!

Thanks