Held or jump ball

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
stlineberger

Re: Held or jump ball

Post by stlineberger » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:24 pm

I don't use the possession arrow feature so am not trying to mimic the score table. I am trying to record stats for good and bad play. Good defensive play (tie up) some times does not show up as a steal because of the stupid possession arrow pointing to the other team, but it should still be recognized as a good play. Alternatively, bad offensive play (tie up) some times does not show up as a turnover because of the stupid possession arrow pointing to the other team, but it still should be recognized as careless play.

The actual score table possession arrow affects whether you can record the steal or turnover.
RDRebels

Post by RDRebels » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:40 pm

I still think this would simplify the scoring of change of possession, steals, etc. I want as few button pushes as possible. You have noted in other posts examples of why you automatically start the clock after a made free throw and stated because people forget to turn the clock on. Well people forget to push the change of possession also. You state that held balls are not actual statistics. Neither are deflections but you have a button all to itself that that.

Player A has the ball. Held ball is called. Push the button and if possession is with him/her then stop the clock, possession arrow changes and no turnover is recorded. If possession arrow is to other team stop the clock and record steal. I don't want a separate category of statistic for held ball I just want to have the game flow as simple as possible because basketball is way faster than all this stuff.
rossspyke

Post by rossspyke » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:16 pm

Please add a key for a held ball or jump ball. Would be especially useful when leading to a turnover.
rossspyke

Post by rossspyke » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:37 pm

During the flow of a game it would be very handy to have a held ball button when selecting the reason for a turnover. Right now the best choice is to select "other" when a held ball results in a turnover. There is typically very little time to add a note clarifying what "other" type of turnover actually took place. It would be a simple fix. I'm surprised that it was not there to begin with as every other possible situation is accounted for with this program.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:01 pm

It should actually be entered as a Steal as this is what the player that caused the tie up will be credited if the ball is turned over due to the possession arrow. If the ball is not turned over, it is a non-stat.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
rossspyke

Post by rossspyke » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Why should one player always get credit for a steal as the result of a held ball? The held ball may be the result of a chain of events that was caused by multiple players and then be a team turnover or steal. Or maybe the ball gets stuck between the rim and the backboard... Jump Ball. What if the ball is knocked out of bounds simultaneously by two players?... Jump Ball. I've also seen a double foul during a loose ball situation or a difference in opinion between two referees, result... Jump Ball. A Jump/Held Ball button is a must for this program. It may not necessarily be a recordable statistic but when analyzing the play by play stats post game it would clarify many turnovers and record hustle plays for coaches when the ball is not turned over.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:27 am

We have it on our enhancement list.

If you are using an iPad, you can add a note at any point during a game, and that appears in the play by play listing. So when you are referring to reviewing a game and seeing it in the play by play, it would be there. You can come up with your own set of abbreviations on notes to make them quick to enter for things you want to track about a jump ball / held ball situation that do not generate stats.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
rossspyke

Post by rossspyke » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:07 pm

I do not want to have to add a note unless absolutely necessary and time permits. Seldom is there time for notes when trying to keep up with the game especially when subs are coming in and out and I am trying to stay on top of that. One quick tap of the button would give me all the info. I need.

Thank You for adding this to your list, I hope it goes straight to the top. I love the app. and I have been able to provide detailed and accurate stats to my customer all season. This little addition will make it even better.
rossspyke

Post by rossspyke » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Any progress on the held ball key?