A Few Enhancement Requests

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
jdhhauser

A Few Enhancement Requests

Post by jdhhauser » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:16 am

1. Use the team colors to make the player buttons look identical to their jersey. Right now, even with the team color "strip" right above all the players, it is hard to tell what team you are choosing.
If your team colors are green & white, your home button would be white button background with green numbers. If you're away, it would be green button background with white numbers.
This would make a bigger differential between the two teams.

2. This is a big one: Know the difference between a two and a three. If you choose a shot inside the three point line, then don't show all the three-point options. This would give you more room to use bigger, easier to hit, buttons.

3. Turnovers & Fouls.... it is always difficult to find the correct option when there are 20 different options on that single screen. My suggestion would be use huge buttons with icons. Maybe fit 5 on the first page, and swipe left to go to the next page of options. Sort them by most popular, so push, handcheck, hold, show up on a page before punching, tripping, etc.

4. Keep the bench (on substitutions) in numerical order. That way it is easy to find your player.

Thanks for the great line of apps!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: A Few Enhancement Requests

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:20 pm

We will be updating the iScore basketball application as the new season approaches.

For #1, the stripe is the way to differentiate. We actually tried changing the button colors before putting in the "stripe", and it did not work well. First off, there is not a good way to get "complimentary colors" in all cases for backgrounds / text. There are too many color possibilities. The second issue is the color of the buttons actually shows ball possession as well, so if someone happened to have a color that was close to the possession color, it would not work. The stripe is a non-intrusive way to show which set of buttons belong to which team. If you have any other ideas on how to make it more obvious, we would like to hear them, but changing the button colors just did not work.

For #2, it still requires pressing a button to say whether it was a made 2 point shot, missed shot, etc. And we also don't require recording shot locations (i.e. you can just click the Shot button). So rather than have different versions of the screen which can lead to confusion, we just show 2 point options on one side, and 3 point options on the other. It does not make any more button presses to record the play.

For #3, it seems that splitting the buttons to multiple pages would not really address the issue of finding the fouls / turnover options. Instead of looking at the buttons, you would have to scroll through pages, and it would not be any easier, and in many situations, you would then be adding extra clicks to the process. If you think the order we have the buttons in can be improved, please let us know what order you think they should be in.

For #4, this is a good suggestion, and one that we have had on our enhancement list since last season. Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
jdhhauser

Post by jdhhauser » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:28 pm

#1. What about moving the player numbers to the baselines so they are on different ends of the screen. If this shrinks the court too much, just use one half court, as that is all you need for shot charts.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:16 pm

That is a possibility.. thank you for the suggestion.
jake14mw

Post by jake14mw » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 am

I also find it difficult following which team is which. How about instead of a color STRIPE, making a color box around the player buttons?

I really like the potential of this application, I'm just finding it hard keeping up with a fast paced game like basketball. I agree with the OP's suggestion of limiting types of fouls on the first screen. Common ones can go on the first screen, less common on the second. For me, overall, there are too many small buttons to choose from in the app. Don't get me wrong, it is well done and logical, it just needs to be tweeked to be easier to use quickly.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:31 am

We will be making updates to this App in the coming weeks including releasing an update for iPad as well. We will keep all enhancement requests in mind as we evolve the product. Thank you.
jdhhauser

Post by jdhhauser » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:51 pm

Yes, that has been my only problem with the app. It is very difficult to score a fast-paced game like basketball when you have to look down through all the small buttons to get what you want. I have used other apps that have icons and big buttons, and tha helps so much.