Some suggestions for added features

We will try and answer Frequently Asked Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Basketball, this is probably the best place to start.
Trojanhorse

Some suggestions for added features

Post by Trojanhorse » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:44 am

I have been using iScore for a short time and really am liking the app. I am a long-time user of another product on both high school and college level and have always desired to have touch-screen features for recording stats. I think you are on the right approach.

I have noticed a couple of inconsistencies that maybe is due to my inexperience with the app:
1. On the team stats printout, I notice that the total time played does not seem to add up the individual players times correctly. This is helpful to let me know that the total minutes played is accurate.
2. Same is true for the total numbers of players that actually entered the game. It seems to always total to "1"
3. I like how the clock stops for a foul, but am a bit frustrated that it starts up automatically when you complete the foul data by pressing DONE. This is a problem when the fouls is followed by a foul shot and the clock has already started as soon as you press DONE.
4. There are several other times when the clock should stop in game mode such as turnovers that result in the clock stopping: ball out of bounds, traveling violation, etc. This would be convenient to have the clock stop similar to when you enter a foul. You then can start the clock once the ball is inbounds.

Can you work on a add a few items to the game summary report including: points in the paint; bench points; lead changes; fastbreak points (this would be a nice score option); points off turnovers; second chance points; score tied by.

My coaches (and broadcasters) really like this information (especially at half-time). It would appear that your program keeps a lot of this information or could easily add the additional data.

Again great job. Keep up the good work. My college won't let me use iScore as the official method right now (league requirement) but I have the coaches hooked on it. Thanks!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Some suggestions for added features

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:21 am

1. For total time played for a game, we do not sum up the minutes. Since times are rounded to the nearest minute, they would never add up to 5 * total minutes in the game. We chose to show total minutes in the game instead for the total.

2. This column is actually # of games, so the total games for the team is not going to be the sum of the individual player games, it is the total # of games represented by the report. For a "game report", this will be 1. For a team report, this will be the # of games the data represents (may be filtered by current League selections).

3. We will look into this one. We recently changed so the clock does not auto-restart after a sub. We get requests for changes to the clock all the time including not having a clock at all. Maybe at some point we will add a preferences screen where you can enter when the clock should auto-stop / auto-start so each user can make it work the way they want. There is no right answer on this as some leagues play with a "continuous clock" that never stops during the game except during a timeout.

4. Same answer as #3.

We will add your statistic ideas to our enhancement list --- most would require capturing additional information which would make an already challenging job of scoring basketball even harder, but some do not.

Thank you for the great feedback.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:03 pm

I appreciate your quick response. I noticed that after I had posted this to the FAQ section that you had a special section on enhancement requests. Sorry about that. I put any other thoughts there.

I really like your idea to make the control of the clock more adaptable to many different situations. In a lot of club games we stop the clock on all whistles, but if a team is ahead by 20 point the clock continues to run except when there is a foul. It would be nice to be able to turn this feature on AND off. Don't do away with the clock. We like the play by play feature.

Keep up the good work!
MORPWRR

Post by MORPWRR » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:37 am

Ditto the request to have the clock have options. Scoring high school games, I am constantly having to re-set the clock after fouls as it auto starts.
danmcc

Post by danmcc » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:20 am

Item #3, I press done only when either a rebound occurs or if the shot is made when the ball is touched on the inbounds.

Item #4, Tap the clock first to stop then input the traveling or out of bounds etc. I like your idea of automatically stopping the clock but the clock would still be off a bit by the amount of time it takes for us to tap out the play to get to the clock stopping event.

I have scored a great many games over the last several years and focused as much on clock management as scoring. With some practice the tap order come easily.